MEETINGS and GATHERINGS:
MWRD will be hosting a meeting at the School on Tuesday, May 16 at 1:00 to (1) discuss our Solid Waste Transfer Station layout and plans for its construction and (2) present a progress report on the Federal Government’s proposed Quatsino Government Wharf divestiture. Everyone is encouraged to attend. Contact Greg Fletcher for more information firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LiteracyNow is funding a five week program to provide our Quatsino kids - resident, seasonal and guests from 0 to 13 years old – with fun and educational activities at the School every Saturday from 10:00am – 1:00pm beginning May 6th. If it’s a success and well attended funding to extend the program may be available. Contact Bev Steffler (program organizer) for more info email@example.com.
- Elections BC will have a Polling Station on Tuesday, May 9th from 8:00am to 8:00pm in the School’s Community Library. Bring ID which shows your name and your civic address.
- The QVFB has fire practices at the Hall every Tuesday at 7:00pm. Everyone is welcome to join in.
Call Kevin for more information 250-949-0401 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Easter Sunday Tea and Egg Hunt at the School was a huge success! Over 50 egg hiders, egg hunters and spectators enjoyed the event. Thank you to all who contributed Easter goodies for the kids and the goody table. And thank you to all the kids for sharing smiles and laughter with all the spectators. - GH
- The reward for information leading to the apprehension and conviction of those person(s) who broke into and vandalized the Quatsino Customs House and at W455 on or about January 13th is $3,500.00 thanks to various community donations.
Contact Danny to claim or for more info at 406-871-0034. Your anonymity will be assured.
- Unfortunately two more homes have been vandalized since January; Kondrat’s E-825 & Petersen’s W-120. The RCMP have been over to investigate. Quatsino, we need to actively work together to stop these burglaries. Please read the attached letter from QRO Director, John Tyler.
- The Recycling Depot is ready to send out another 20 mega-totes. A pat on the back to all who have been keeping their recyclables out of the dump; paper, cardboard, glass plus plastic, Styrofoam, aluminum packaging. ? Volunteers open the Depot every weekend from 1:00pm – 2:00pm.
- Refundable beverage containers can be dropped off behind the Quatsino Museum anytime. The revenue collected is an important part of their operating costs. Thank you to all for your support.
- The School now has a ‘boil water advisory’ due to SD#85’s new water quality standards. The water filtration system will be upgraded when the school reopens.
- Material from roadside ditching material is being stock piled at the top section of the dump in preparation of capping the site. Please keep the access area clear. ?
- The QRO has applied for a MWRD Rural Tourism grant to help fund the Quatsino Cemetery’s 100th Anniversary Project – a new cedar picket fence. When funding is secured volunteers will be organized to prep the site and the fence construction job will be posted. Thank you to the Fishing Lodges who submitted letters of support. If you would like to be added to the volunteers list please contact Gwen.
- Gina’s Pizza is open every day from 4:00pm – 9:00pm. Choose any two toppings for just $15.00 - including delivery (credit card orders add $1.00). Call Gina at 250-902-0434 to place your order. Delizioso!
- Please stay alert and call the BC Wildlife Conservation Officer immediately to report a wild animal that is injured or behaving aggressively. 1-877-952-7277.
- Looking to hire a house painter for E-425. Exterior painting only. Materials supplied.
Call Debbie anytime at 250-792-1853.
- If you are interested in designing and building a new Colony Lake Trail sign & Bulletin Board – to replace the one which was destroyed by a fallen tree in February - please contact QRO Sec./Tres. Gwen.
- Arborists will be in Quatsino around mid June. They are fully insured and covered by WCB. Trees limbed or fell. Contact Florian at email@example.com for more information and/or to book a job.
- Man for Hire: - $15/hr. - odd jobs and experienced stone mason. Call Ken Harvie at 250-949-0416.
- The QVFB has 3 used Honda 2” gas powered pumps for sale - $400 each firm.
Contact Kevin at firstname.lastname@example.org .
A Rose to all who have volunteered their time to get the Colony Lake Trail back in shape in time for summer; including Andrew, Keith, Rhiana, Ken, James, Shannon and Josh. GH
A Raspberry to whoever spilled their trash along the road to the Dump on April 22nd/23rd and a Rose to those who cleaned it up. GH
1912: ‘At the time we were married Ben (Leeson) was getting a salary of $10 per month from the Customs Department (the position he held for 35 years) and he had been Preventive Officer for some time before with no salary! He also had been getting $35 per month as policeman, coroner, postman and mining recorder. Now others had these jobs as he did not vote for Sir Richard McBride (Conservative Party - 1912).’ Mrs. Evelyn May Leeson.? Quatsino Museum & Archives ?
? Gwen Hansen, QRO – Sec./Tres.